Thank you for the opportunity to update you on the work of the 113th Congress. I trust this finds you and your family well.
As you know, our federal government was shut down for the first 16 days of October. I empathize with those that felt its devastating effects, particularly those hard working Utahns that were furloughed and the communities surrounding the closed National Parks.
I’m grateful that Gov. Herbert was able to strike a deal with the U.S. Department of Interior allowing Utah to reopen National Parks on October 12th. It’s unfortunate that the tourism, mining, timber and transportation industries lost millions of dollars each day that the government was shut down.
To prevent this in the future, I introduced the PARC Act (Provide Access and Retain Continuity Act). This act would ensure that in the event of a future government shut down, an agreement is in place to allow states to quickly continue funding and operating federal facilities and programs that are vital to their economies. There is no reason that hardworking American families and communities should be punished due to circumstances over which they have no control.
For a PDF of the full text of the bill, click here.
The Week Ahead:
This week, the House is expected to vote and debate on the following legislation. Visit the House Majority Leader’s website for the most up-to-date information.
- H.R. 3304- To authorize and request Medal of Honor Awards
- H.R. 1742- Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act of 2013
- H.R. 2189– Establishing a task force to evaluate the backlog of VA disability
- H.R. 2481- Veterans Economic Opportunity Act of 2013
- H.R. 2011- Veterans’ Advisory Committee on Education Improvement Act
- H.R. 2640- Central Oregon Jobs and Water Security Act
- H.R. 623- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Land Transfer Act
- H.R. 330- Distinguished Flying Cross National Memorial Act
- H.R. 2337- Lake Hill Administrative Site Affordable Housing Act
- H.R. 2374- Retail Investor Protection Act, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule)
- H.R. 992- Swaps Regulatory Improvement Act, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule)
For me to better represent you in Congress, I hope that you will stay connected to my office. Follow me onFacebook, where I regularly post updates and give you a forum to voice your opinion. Click here to see a full list of the legislation I am sponsoring or co-sponsoring. You can also view many of my House floor speeches and interviews where I discuss the work of Congress on my youtube channel.
As always, feel free to email me if you have any concerns our comments.
Utah's 2nd Congressional District