I invite all high school students from Utah's 2nd Congressional District to participate in the first annual Congressional Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Academic Competition, “The House STEM App Challenge.” This new competition is designed to engage student’s creativity and encourage their participation in STEM education fields.
Established by Members of the U.S. House of Representatives in 2013, this competition is a nationwide event that allows students from across the country to compete by creating and exhibiting their software application, or “app,” for mobile, tablet, or computer devices on a platform of their choice.
Students entering the competition must provide a YouTube video demo explaining their app and what they learned through this competition process.
The submitted apps will be judged by an appointed panel of individuals within the academic, software and entrepreneurial fields. The winning student’s app in each participating congressional district will be featured on the U.S. House of Representatives’ website, as well as on display in a U.S. Capitol exhibit. Additional details on The House STEM App Challenge will be announced in the coming weeks.
I hope that you will participate in this exciting competition! Should you have any questions or concerns, please call my Salt Lake City Office at 801-364-5550.
App Submissions: February 1–May 31.
Winners Announced: June
How do I enter?
1. During the Competition Submission Period, create an account on www.challengepost.com and register for the House Student App Contest. Upload the entry form on the site so your Member of Congress can communicate with you during the Submission Period.
B. Complete Online Requirements (on ChallengePost.COM):
1. Each Contestant will be required to provide the following as part of the Submission:
• A link to the Application Demonstration Video. ChallengePost supports YouTube or VIMEO. Please note that your entry may be judged in its entirety based on this video. It is important to demonstrate the scope and quality of your application in this video. No more than two minutes in length.
• A link to the Developer Video. ChallengePost supports YouTube or VIMEO. The participant will describe how they created the app and what they learned. No more than one minute in length.
• An entry form
2. All submissions must be in English.
3. An individual may appear on only one entry, either alone or as part of a team.